The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has appointed Neeraj Mittal, a seasoned 1992 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer as the secretary in the Department of Telecommunications.
Neeraj Mittal’s Current Role and Career Milestones
Neeraj Mittal presently holds the position of principal secretary in the information technology department of Tamil Nadu. Prior to this role, he worked as a senior advisor at the World Bank Group and also served as a joint secretary in the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas. He is set to take over from K Rajaraman, who has been designated as the chairman of the International Financial Services Centre Authority (IFSCA) in Gujarat.
S Krishnan to Lead the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
Another significant appointment is that of S Krishnan, a distinguished 1989 batch IAS officer from the Tamil Nadu cadre. Currently, Krishnan holds the position of industries secretary in the Tamil Nadu state government. His extensive experience in administrative roles has led to his selection as the new secretary of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
Krishnan’s appointment comes as Alkesh Kumar Sharma, the previous secretary, retired on August 31.
Key Changes in Other Ministries and Departments
The ACC has also approved a series of changes in various ministries and departments:
- VL Kantha Rao, who previously served as an additional secretary in the Department of Telecommunications, has been appointed as the secretary in the Ministry of Mines.
- Vivek Bhardwaj, the former mines secretary, will now take on the role of officer on special duty at the Ministry of Panchayati Raj.
- Umang Narula has been designated as the secretary in the Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs, bringing his extensive administrative expertise to this crucial portfolio.
- Arunish Chawla, a 1992 batch IAS officer from Bihar cadre, is slated to take over as the secretary of the Department of Pharmaceuticals within the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, effective from November 1, 2023.
- Chanchal Kumar, also from the 1992 batch and Bihar cadre, has been appointed as secretary in the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region.
- Vumlunmang Vualnam, an IAS officer from the 1992 Manipur cadre, has been entrusted with the role of secretary in the Ministry of Civil Aviation. He previously served as an additional secretary in the Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance.
Find More Appointments Here