InterGlobe Enterprises, a major shareholder in IndiGo, has announced a strategic partnership with Archer Aviation Inc, a US-based company specializing in electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft. The collaboration aims to introduce and operate an all-electric air taxi service in India.
Key Players in the Partnership
- InterGlobe Enterprises, a majority shareholder in IndiGo.
- Archer Aviation Inc, a New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) listed company specializing in eVTOL aircraft.
Vision and Opportunity
- InterGlobe sees the partnership as an opportunity to provide a futuristic, sustainable, and cost-competitive air transport solution in India.
- Archer views India as a significant market for eVTOL aircraft, given its large population and urban congestion challenges.
The All-Electric Midnight Aircraft
- Archer’s flagship aircraft, the Midnight, is an all-electric piloted eVTOL designed for vertical takeoff and landing.
- The aircraft is capable of rapid back-to-back flights with minimal charge time between operations.
Addressing Urban Congestion
- Urban congestion is a growing concern globally, with projections of doubled urban populations by 2050.
- Archer’s electric air taxi service aims to offer a low-noise, sustainable, and efficient alternative to ground transportation.
Strategic Goals and Operations
- The partnership intends to work with in-country business partners to operate Archer’s aircraft.
- Plans include financing and building vertiport infrastructure and training personnel for smooth operations.
Scale of Operations
- The parties plan to finance the acquisition of up to 200 Archer Midnight aircraft for operations in India.
- Initial focus cities include Delhi, Mumbai, and Bengaluru.
Revolutionizing Urban Mobility
- The goal is to transform mobility across Indian cities, providing quick and efficient transportation solutions.
- For example, a 27 km trip from Connaught Place to Gurugram could be reduced from 60-90 minutes by car to approximately 7 minutes with Archer’s electric air taxi.
- Beyond passenger transportation, the partnership envisions various uses for the electric aircraft, including cargo, logistics, medical and emergency services, as well as private company and charter services.
Find More Business News Here