Chhath Puja 2023: Hindus observe Chhath as a sacred festival devoted to venerating Surya Dev, also known as the Sun God, celebrated from November 17th to 20th. This age-old Hindu celebration has its historical origins in the Indian subcontinent, particularly in the states of Uttar Pradesh, Jharkhand, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh and West Bengal. This auspicious event is specially dedicated to Chhathi Maiya, the sister of Lord Surya and the sixth manifestation of Devi Prakriti. According to the Hindu calendar, Chhath Puja is observed on the sixth day of the Kartika lunar month in the Vikram Samwat, precisely six days after the festival of Deepawali.
Chhath Puja 2023 – Dates
Chhath Puja 2023 will be observed from 17th November to 20th November. The festival includes four main days, each with its own rituals and significance.
- Nahay Khay (17th November 2023): Devotees take a holy dip and begin their fast, preparing prasad for the Sun God.
- Lohanda and Kharna (18th November 2023): Devotees continue their fast, perform traditional songs and dances and offer arghya to the setting Sun.
- Sandhya Arghya (19th November 2023): The main day of the festival, where prasad is prepared and offered to the Sun God during sunset.
- Usha Arghya (20th November 2023): Devotees break their 36-hour fast, offer prayers to the rising sun and share prasad with family and friends.
Chhath Puja 2023 – Muhurat
The auspicious timings for Chhath Puja 2023 are based on the shashthi tithi. The puja starts at 09:18 am on 18th November 2023 and concludes at 07:23 am on 19th November 2023.
Why Chhath Puja is Celebrated?
Chhath Puja is an expression of gratitude to the Sun God, seeking blessings for a fruitful harvest and prosperity. It serves as a means to purify the body and mind, seeking forgiveness for errors. Fasting and abstinence symbolize purification, instilling discipline. The festival is a collective pursuit of well-being for family, fostering unity across castes and communities, believed to bring fortune, health and prosperity.
Chhath Puja 2023 – Historical Background
Chhath Puja’s origins are intertwined with the Hindu epic Ramayana, where it is believed that Lord Rama and Sita observed a fast upon returning to Ayodhya after defeating Ravana, as a mark of reverence to the Sun God, Surya. Beyond this, the festival’s roots extend to ancient India, dating back to the Vedic period, as documented in the Vedas. Initially practiced by the Kshatriya clan, the festival’s significance gradually spread across India, evolving into a major celebration in the present-day Bihar and Jharkhand region.
Significance of Chhath Puja 2023
The significance of Chhath Puja flourished among the common people during the medieval era, marked by fervent devotion. Unfortunately, the festival waned during the British colonial period. Yet, in later years, various social and cultural organizations revived it, restoring its popularity. Today, Chhath Puja stands as a vital celebration in the Hindu calendar, particularly holding special importance in Bihar and Jharkhand, where it is a state festival. Enduring through time, the festival perseveres with unwavering devotion and enthusiasm reminiscent of ancient India.
Chhath Puja 2023 – Rituals
- Taking a holy dip and preparing sattvik food.
- Observing an initial fast with specialized foods.
- A 36-hour waterless fast.
- Preparation of prasad, including fruits, dry fruits, jaggery, coconut and ghee.
- Sharing prasad with family and friends after the puja.
Chhath Pooja 2023 – Decoration
- Rangoli: Traditional designs at the entrance using colored powders.
- Diyas: Oil-filled lamps placed around the house and puja era.
- Flowers: Marigold, hibiscus and lotus to add a festive touch.
- Torans: Decorative garlands made of mango leaves, flowers and colorful beads.
- String Lights: Modern decoration for the puja area and entrance.
- Banana and Mango Leaves: Traditional decoration for the puja area and offerings.
- Temporary Altars: Set up for the Sun God and ancestors with flowers and incense.
Chhath Pooja 2023 – Wishes
- May the Sun God illuminate your life with prosperity and happiness. Happy Chhath Puja!
- Wishing you and your family a blessed Chhath Puja filled with joy and peace.
- May the divine blessings of Chhathi Maiya bring success and good fortune to your home. Happy Chhath!
- On this auspicious occasion, may your prayers be answered, and your heart be filled with devotion. Happy Chhath Puja!
- May the rays of the setting Sun bring you success and happiness. Happy Chhath to you and your loved ones!
- Sending warm wishes for a Chhath Puja filled with love, health, and prosperity.
- May the divine energy of Chhathi Maiya fill your life with positivity and abundance. Happy Chhath!
- May the Sun God bless you with strength, endurance, and a bright future. Happy Chhath Puja!
- On this sacred day, may your heart be filled with devotion and your home be surrounded by divine blessings. Happy Chhath!
- Wishing you a Chhath Puja filled with moments of joy, harmony, and togetherness with family and friends.
- May your prayers on Chhath Puja bring peace and prosperity to your life. Happy celebrations!
- As you offer your prayers to the Sun God, may your life be showered with happiness and success. Happy Chhath!
Find More Important Days Here